martes, 21 de abril de 2015

Unit 5 READING



Reading is one of the four language skills. It is a receptive skill, like listening, this means involves responding to text rather than producing it. For reading we need to understand the language of the text at word level. We also need to connect the message of the text to our knowledge of the world. When reading, we need to understand what the letters are, how those letters are joined and what they mean.  There are some key concepts:
  •  A discourse is a connected text.
  • Coherence means the sense connection between the sentences.
  • Cohesion refers to the grammatical links between the sentences.
  • Reading involves using different reading skills.
  • Reading for specific information (scanning).
  • Reading for gist or skimming is also called reading for global understanding.
  • Reading for detail means getting the meaning out at every word and out of the links or relationships between words and sentences.
  • Intensive reading means reading inside the classroom.
  • Infer means to get meaning from a text.
  • Deducing meaning from context means involves reading the words around and unknown word or thinking about the situation.
  • Predicting means using clues before we begin reading.
  • Prediction helps us to decide if we wish to read the text and to make sense of it.
  • Text structure involves understanding how certain types of text generally develop.
  • Extensive reading means reading for pleasure.

Reading is a very useful skill which has to be carefully developed in the students. as a future teacher I think I will help them to develop their reading skill. First, I’ll pre-teach vocabulary that means I will give them the meaning of the words they don’t understand. Also, I can use lead-in activities making them to look at the pictures around a text. Then, I would make them to read and we can take out the main idea from each paragraph. As a conclusion, reading is very important for students and through reading they can develop their critical thinking.

For more information:

  •  Wikipedia,. (2015). Reading (process). Retrieved 22 April 2015, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_%28process%29
  • Pbskids.org,. (2015). Reading Games | PBS KIDS. Retrieved 22 April 2015, from http://pbskids.org/games/reading



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario