A function is
the reason why we communicate. I will represent into a chart some of the
examples of functions we use to talk about:
Function
|
Definition
|
Example
|
Apologizing
|
To tell someone that you are sorry for having done something that has
caused problems or unhappiness for them.
|
I'm sorry for my lateness.
|
Greeting
|
friendly words or actions used in welcome
|
Hello!
|
Clarifying
|
To make or become clear in meaning
|
Could you repeat that, please?
|
Inviting
|
To inviting a person to a place.
|
Would you like to come to my party?
|
Advising
|
To advise someone about something.
|
You should go home earlier.
|
Agreeing
|
To have the same opinion.
|
I agree with you.
|
Disagreeing
|
To hold different opinions.
|
We disagree about everything.
|
Refusing
|
Not accept or do something
|
I don’t want to eat vegetables.
|
Thanking
|
To express appreciation or gratitude to (someone) for a favor,
service, gif.
|
I really appreciate your help.
|
Interrupting
|
To stop or make a break in something.
|
Did I interrupt something?
|
Expressing obligation
|
To show that something needs to be done as an obligation.
|
You must go to school.
|
Expressing preferences
|
To show that something is preferred than other things.
|
I prefer to do homework instead of going to the party.
|
The language we
use to express a function is called an exponent.
Here we have another chart in which is shown the use of the exponents.
Context
|
Exponent
|
Function
|
A boy wants to go to the cinema with his friend tonight. He says:
|
‘Let’s go to the cinema tonight.’
|
Suggesting/making a suggestion about going to the cinema.
|
A girl meets some people for the first time. She wants to get to know
them. She says:
|
“Hello. My name’s Emilia.
|
Introducing you.
|
We could see
that we used –ing forms of verbs like inviting, suggesting. Another
feature are the levels of formality. Here
the language can be formal and informal. Formal (more society, distant)
informal (more socially casual) there are also neutral exponents that
are used when we want to show neither great respect nor too much casualness.
People usually choose the use of level of formality that suits in a situation.
This is called appropriacy. Language that reflects the situation in which
is used is called register. An
example of register could be, hi! Which is informal and another could be, Good
morning! This is formal. As a function is the reason why we communicate I
could make photocopies of a book based on functions in order to give my
students real language related to it. This will help my students to develop a
better understanding of the language based on functions. Another thing could be
helpful for them to change the coursebook of what I’ll be teaching to
them in that way my students are not going to be bored if the book is only
about grammar.
- Educ.ualberta.ca,.
(2015). Functions of Language. Retrieved 19 April 2015, from
http://www.educ.ualberta.ca/staff/olenka.bilash/best%20of%20bilash/functionsof%20lang.html
- Google Books,. (2015).
An Introduction to the Nature and Functions of Language. Retrieved 19
April 2015, from
https://books.google.com.ec/books?id=vN-4ijhzrLcC&printsec=frontcover&dq=functions+of+language&hl=es-419&sa=X&ei=fAA0VeaUOMH4ggTGhITwAQ&l
=es-419&sa=X&ei=fAA0VeaUOMH4ggTGhITwAQ&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=functions%20of%20language&f=false
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario